Begging for Ramadan Soup
A funny thing happened today.
We had just finished faTur (the Ramadan break-fast), when the doorbell rang. I looked out the balcony door to see a well-dressed man in white shirt and dark slacks.
He spoke, "May God reward you, please give me some harira (hearty Ramadan soup)."
I wasn't sure I heard him right. "What did you say?"
"Please give me some harira, and may God reward you."
Mystified, I heat up a bowl of soup and descended the stairs with it in my hands. I gave it to him. He held it in his right hand and drank it quickly in several gulps. I was curious about him so I asked him, "Where are you from? Around here?"
"No, I was just passing through."
With that, he thanked me, gave back the empty bowl, turned, and walked away.
I thought to myself, there are neighbors next to, and on all sides of our apartment, but for some reason he rang our bell, not the others. Why? I don't know. Maybe because our hall light was on?
Moroccans would say, "You have done a good deed, today."
We had just finished faTur (the Ramadan break-fast), when the doorbell rang. I looked out the balcony door to see a well-dressed man in white shirt and dark slacks.
He spoke, "May God reward you, please give me some harira (hearty Ramadan soup)."
I wasn't sure I heard him right. "What did you say?"
"Please give me some harira, and may God reward you."
Mystified, I heat up a bowl of soup and descended the stairs with it in my hands. I gave it to him. He held it in his right hand and drank it quickly in several gulps. I was curious about him so I asked him, "Where are you from? Around here?"
"No, I was just passing through."
With that, he thanked me, gave back the empty bowl, turned, and walked away.
I thought to myself, there are neighbors next to, and on all sides of our apartment, but for some reason he rang our bell, not the others. Why? I don't know. Maybe because our hall light was on?
Moroccans would say, "You have done a good deed, today."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home