The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Cookie Crumbs

"How much does a half a kilogram (1.1 lb.) of those cookies cost?" asked Leila to the counter girl.
Leila was at the local neighborhood pastry and cookie shop.

"They cost 1 dirham (12 cents) each. That's how we sell them... by the cookie," replied the girl.

"OK. But, I want to know how much a half kilo of them cost. Whenever I buy cookies, I buy 1/2 kilo. That's why I'm asking. Can you weigh 1/2 kilo on the scale?"

"Oh no. I can't do that. We sell them only by the cookie. 1 dirham each."

At this point, another customer, a man stepped in. "Yes, we know that. But, you have a digital weight scale and all you need to do is put some cookies on it until it reaches 1/2 kilo. Then you count how many cookies there are and you'll know the cost.

The girl refused again. Then man tried to persuade her a second time.
Finally, she went to the back room and spoke to the manager. He came out and agreed to weigh a 1/2 kilo of those cookies. It added up to 7 cookies.

So, Leila bought 1/2 kilo of cookies for 7 dirhams (84 cents).

In reflecting on this experience, we realize that people here are told exactly what to read, recite, memorize, and do. Which is OK. Except, they aren't taught to think. And this cookie counter girl was a classic example. A dull counter girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home