The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Labyrinth

Today I went to a spiritual retreat center, where there was a large labyrinth. This labyrinth is based on the same pattern as the medieval labyrinth in the Chartres cathedral in France. I approached this as a spiritual exercise; 1st) one of seeking, 2nd) finding and encountering, and 3rd) of departing, carrying a spiritual forth. The experience was interesting. Although I could see the large center stone from the starting point gate, the trail took me in a meandering, wandering way, sometimes close to the center, at other times away. The way was slow, slower than I expected. I could not tell when exactly I would reach the center until almost the very end. Once I was there, I circled around the stone, observing it faces and departed by the same way by which I entered. Another long walk out.

Except I didn't. I didn't want to take the slow way out, but exited by hopping over the hedge close to the gate because of time. I didn't want to take the time. Plus it was sunny and getting hot. 90 F.

Isn't that life? It takes me here and there, up and down, near and far, all while I want just to reach the goal. I am task oriented. Getting there takes longer than I want and there are unexpected surprises along the way.


Yesterday, wife and I spent several hours trying to find a solution for a neighbor's dog. These neighbors are from the US and left their dog "Bear" (half Labrador, half pit bull) alone for 7 months. No one wanted to babysit so he was left at the house. Of course he cried. He's 2 years old and a baby. the other local neighbors complained to the landlord so they were contacted. The housekeeper comes daily in the morning. They asked us to put him inside for the night. But, he still cried loudly.

So, the owners called from the US, "Please help us." Searched for the dog food. Searched for his bone. Together, a kennel "Dog Training" was found online by the airport, and the kennel offered to pick up Bear. A young couple drove up in a white Toyota pickup truck with a cage in the back. I had to physically pick up Bear (60-70 lbs) and put him in the cage. Then we drove our truck, following the dog trainers to the air force base, entering security gates and the like.

Finally, we arrived at the kennel. 50 other dogs in cages, mostly German Shepherd. Bear got out and was OK as long as he stayed away from the other dogs.  He is young and has never been away from "home" so this is going to be interesting. Cost: 150 Baht/day. Thankfully, the owners transferred funds online via their smart phone to the kennel so we didn't have to pay cash for 1 or 2 weeks. We will see how Bear does for one week. Meanwhile, the owners continue to search for some family to take him in. Wow, owning a big dog is a lot, especially if you travel without him. 

My point sharing this story is that we got sucked into a 1/2 day dealing with Bear. And we were originally not even involved taking care of him. He was being taken care of by the neighbor's housekeeper. Lesson? Before you get a dog, especially a big dog, think carefully what you are going to do when you travel or are away for a while. Your dog is going to suffer. Or your neighbors.

"Never leave a dog alone at the house." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home