The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Road Accident

Yesterday (Wednesday) I went for a 5K run towards the mountains. After I returned to the neighborhood, I decided to do 2 laps around the block to make it 6K. It was getting darker, about 6PM. Towards the end of the run, a neighbor’s black dog came up on my left side and ran alongside me. I know him. He is okay, although 4 years ago he needed muzzling. He didn’t growl, bite or bark. As I sped up to finish (I wanted to average 5 minutes/km), looking at my phone for my time, he sped up too. Then, he suddenly cut in front of me and blocked my path, tangling with my legs. I was running pretty fast and crashed on the road, on my face. I dropped and broke my phone, bent my eyeglasses, cut up my face, hand and shoulder.
The dog just wandered off. Bummer. I didn’t realize how bad I was until I returned to the house and looked in the mirror. My son patched me up with bandages and bandaids. My phone is crippled; the touch screen doesn’t work so we attached a mouse to it. I can use it at home, but not when I am out and about.

Reflecting on the accident this morning, a few thoughts come.
1)      I didn’t need to run the extra 1k in the neighborhood. The first lap ½ km was ok, it was the 2nd lap when the dog came up and crashed into me. If I had just called it a day after 5k. but, I was more ambitious.
2)      I should have slowed down or stopped when the dog came up, even though i knew him. I foolishly ran faster. Stopping or slowing down would have reduced the damage.
3)      Could it have been a spiritual attack? i am not superstitious, but bad staff happens, and whether it is curses, evil eye, sorcery, witchcraft, or casting a spell, I should not rule it out. The spirit world is real. There are angels and demons. Are there people who don't like me? Yeah, most likely. this is a reminder to pray daily for protection and not take everything for granted. "Deliver us from evil and from the evil one."
4)   A lesson? Here, a seemingly friendly dog comes alongside, appears to be OK. But I don't really know him well. And in the end, he causes me to crash and then saunters off like nothing happened. The dog was not concerned about me. All he wanted to do was follow me for a while and have fun.  I wonder if the dog is like some people in my life who seem to come “alongside” (help, encourage or partner), but in the end, they crash, interfere, or mess with my life. Even wound me. I wonder about some people like that recently. They come for a while, and I think they are OK. But secretly, knowingly or unknowingly they become a heavy burden or negative influence in my life. Maybe they don’t realize it, like their self-awareness is blind. They just do things their way which hinder more than whatever help they provided. Like more negatives than positives. This is not to say that they are bad. No, they try to help. But, in the end, they walk away and do their own thing, They are not so much concerned about me as they are concerned about their own affairs. It is strange to think that people can act like dogs. Some dogs are very intelligent, loving and caring. Others chase you and try to bite you. Most are mixed. The dogs I see here mostly sit around, look for food, and bark.  
5)      The phone. If it was in the cover case, the damage would have been less and maybe would have survived the fall. Shoot. It’s crippled. Have to replace it. Protective cases are for a reason. 

6)      A friend mentioned on FB suggesting wearing an ID bracelet, in case of accident. Good idea. 

Today the house-helper encouraged me to go to the doctor or the medical clinc and get treated. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home