Obnoxious Beggar
"Hey, it's Friday, mosque day, and it's time to give! So, give to me, receive blessings on your children and parents. You will receive heavenly points of blessing because you gave to me..."
The man standing in front of me was in his late 60's, wearing a white fuqia robe. His face was slightly unshaven. His tone was ... obnoxious. I wasn't pleased.
Yesterday was Friday, meaning that all the beggars were out in force, sitting by the mosque doors and roaming the streets for coins from anyone and everyone. There are certain places they like to sit and wait; outside grocery stores, bakeries, banks, cafes, restaurants, parking lots, really everywhere. Begging is a way of life for beggars and givers.
Some are poor and frail, disabled-invalid, others seemingly quite young and healthy. We get old men, old women, young mothers with babies or young children sitting on a piece of cardboard, young men with nicer clothes than I have pandhandling. Most of them are humble.
But, a small percentage of them are actually obnoxious! They launch into a religious diatribe of how we are obligated to give alms to the poor, and here they are, standing in front of us! "So, fulfill your obligation right now!" Some people slip them a coin to get rid of them. What shall I do?
Usually I give a one dirham coin (12 cents US) if it is a really old, frail or handicapped person. Others I look over, noticing their footwear in particular. (some beggars have nicer shoes than I do!)
What did I do with the obnoxious beggar?
I said to him, "Allah isehhel." I didn't give. I'm sorry, I'm not one to give to anyone and everyone. There are too many beggars. And if they are not humble in asking, then I don't give. Why should I reward rudeness? Why should I give in to their pressures?
The man standing in front of me was in his late 60's, wearing a white fuqia robe. His face was slightly unshaven. His tone was ... obnoxious. I wasn't pleased.
Yesterday was Friday, meaning that all the beggars were out in force, sitting by the mosque doors and roaming the streets for coins from anyone and everyone. There are certain places they like to sit and wait; outside grocery stores, bakeries, banks, cafes, restaurants, parking lots, really everywhere. Begging is a way of life for beggars and givers.
Some are poor and frail, disabled-invalid, others seemingly quite young and healthy. We get old men, old women, young mothers with babies or young children sitting on a piece of cardboard, young men with nicer clothes than I have pandhandling. Most of them are humble.
But, a small percentage of them are actually obnoxious! They launch into a religious diatribe of how we are obligated to give alms to the poor, and here they are, standing in front of us! "So, fulfill your obligation right now!" Some people slip them a coin to get rid of them. What shall I do?
Usually I give a one dirham coin (12 cents US) if it is a really old, frail or handicapped person. Others I look over, noticing their footwear in particular. (some beggars have nicer shoes than I do!)
What did I do with the obnoxious beggar?
I said to him, "Allah isehhel." I didn't give. I'm sorry, I'm not one to give to anyone and everyone. There are too many beggars. And if they are not humble in asking, then I don't give. Why should I reward rudeness? Why should I give in to their pressures?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home