Blessing Beggars
One usually thinks of beggars as needy people, looking for a handout and having nothing to give in return. That's logical.
But, in this culture, beggars perform a special role of blessing. They provide an opportunity for you to give zakat or offering, thus fulfilling your religious duty to the poor.
I was reminded of that today.
Sitting in the car waiting at school, a beggar walked up to the window, held out his hand, and launched into his supplication.
At first, I wasn't interested, but then i changed my mind. I reached for a 1 dirham coin (10 cents US) and asked him, "Where is your home?"
He said some long Berber name of an unrecognizable place. "iduaganufidif" or something like that. Except that I recognized the name! I recognized the beggar - I gave to him last week at school!
"Hey, I recognize you! I saw you last week!" I exclaimed.
"Oh no..." he mumbled.
"Where are your children?" I questioned.
"They are in the village," he replied.
Then, I gave him the coin.
Immediately, he launched into an elaborate religious pronouncement of blessing on me with the intonation of a preacher, "May God bless your children! May God protect you! May God give you blessings! May God give you riches and wealth!" He went on for a couple minutes even though I held up my hand to stop him. He continued, full of power for the moment. He held the floor, rambling on and on.
I thought, "Enough blessings. I have enough. Matter of fact, I have already been blessed by God and I don't need yours."
Blessing beggars. And who thought they were helpless?
But, in this culture, beggars perform a special role of blessing. They provide an opportunity for you to give zakat or offering, thus fulfilling your religious duty to the poor.
I was reminded of that today.
Sitting in the car waiting at school, a beggar walked up to the window, held out his hand, and launched into his supplication.
At first, I wasn't interested, but then i changed my mind. I reached for a 1 dirham coin (10 cents US) and asked him, "Where is your home?"
He said some long Berber name of an unrecognizable place. "iduaganufidif" or something like that. Except that I recognized the name! I recognized the beggar - I gave to him last week at school!
"Hey, I recognize you! I saw you last week!" I exclaimed.
"Oh no..." he mumbled.
"Where are your children?" I questioned.
"They are in the village," he replied.
Then, I gave him the coin.
Immediately, he launched into an elaborate religious pronouncement of blessing on me with the intonation of a preacher, "May God bless your children! May God protect you! May God give you blessings! May God give you riches and wealth!" He went on for a couple minutes even though I held up my hand to stop him. He continued, full of power for the moment. He held the floor, rambling on and on.
I thought, "Enough blessings. I have enough. Matter of fact, I have already been blessed by God and I don't need yours."
Blessing beggars. And who thought they were helpless?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home