Christmas and Sacred Pathways
Christmas just passed. Went to two Christmas Eve services at the same church. They were good; well organized, productive and well-attended. The message was good. Still, I felt something was missing. What I missed was celebrating with a small, close fellowship of believers like we did in Africa. Being in a large congregation can be exciting, but also impersonal. Maybe because we hardly know people here, and our friends live miles away. People are busy and preoccupied.
Been reading on sacred pathways - ways by which I best connect to God. I am realizing that journaling (writing) is one of my prefered ways. I used to journal "religiously" (daily or all the time) and it did something for me spiritually. Then, I stopped the frequency because of various reasons, some of which I am not sure. The problem was handwriting - I've handwrit every journal since 1983. But with traveling and living overseas, I am trying to reduce paper and go more digital. Another problem is how to journal on computer or on smartphone. The phone is too small. Laptop means I need to carry it around. What's the answer? Netbook? Tablet? Or something else?
The past few months has been a sabbatical. Orginally, I thought it was going to be really relaxing and a "chill-out" season. Well, it has been more of a transitional time with definite tasks and some stress. Our old/former lives and relationships still linger, not surprisingly and we are beginning new ones here in the USA. We have to think about how long we can stay in a place. There is living in temporary or short-term housing. We have no home of our own. It's like camping. Clothes are still in suitcases and boxes are in various places. I went to storage to look for certain items. There were piles of boxes with books, photos, and personal belongings. Half of it I could just give away. Is this what the Lord said, "the son of man has no place to lay his head"? It causes me to sometimes wish for a more permanent place to live.
I realize that I am a spiritual pilgrim. I wonder and wander inside my head. I like this picture of a Winter Amish procession. It reminds me of Africa and a slower pace of life. Maybe they know something that we don't know about life? Do we really need more and more?
Been reading on sacred pathways - ways by which I best connect to God. I am realizing that journaling (writing) is one of my prefered ways. I used to journal "religiously" (daily or all the time) and it did something for me spiritually. Then, I stopped the frequency because of various reasons, some of which I am not sure. The problem was handwriting - I've handwrit every journal since 1983. But with traveling and living overseas, I am trying to reduce paper and go more digital. Another problem is how to journal on computer or on smartphone. The phone is too small. Laptop means I need to carry it around. What's the answer? Netbook? Tablet? Or something else?
The past few months has been a sabbatical. Orginally, I thought it was going to be really relaxing and a "chill-out" season. Well, it has been more of a transitional time with definite tasks and some stress. Our old/former lives and relationships still linger, not surprisingly and we are beginning new ones here in the USA. We have to think about how long we can stay in a place. There is living in temporary or short-term housing. We have no home of our own. It's like camping. Clothes are still in suitcases and boxes are in various places. I went to storage to look for certain items. There were piles of boxes with books, photos, and personal belongings. Half of it I could just give away. Is this what the Lord said, "the son of man has no place to lay his head"? It causes me to sometimes wish for a more permanent place to live.
I realize that I am a spiritual pilgrim. I wonder and wander inside my head. I like this picture of a Winter Amish procession. It reminds me of Africa and a slower pace of life. Maybe they know something that we don't know about life? Do we really need more and more?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home