Christmas Crazies
First of all, I enjoy Christmas, whether in Africa or America. Different traditions and cultures does not mitigate against the Spirit of Christmas, which is Jesus. I enjoyed the gift exchanges as a child in my family, although we simplified it a bit. My parents sometimes just put the presents in bags instead of wrapping them. They practiced gift bags years ago before it became popular!
Living 20 years in North Africa have tempered and shaped my view and appreciation of Christmas. The first time was 28 years ago. I was in an African village with absolutely nothing that resembled America. They celebrated Christmas with a joy, enthusiasm and energy that I had not seen before. And it was without Christmas trees, wreaths, presents, decorations, santa, shopping, carols, etc. They paraded up and down the dirt roads for days before the 25th, singing praise songs. Then on Christmas Eve, they stayed up all night, singing and presenting skits and short dramas. Many of us fell asleep while the young and hardy kept going. Hey, it was an "all night party" for Jesus! Then in the morning they paraded and sang again for all to wake up. It was time to - (not open presents) but go to worship service! After service, we ate a special meal including all in attendance, especially poor villagers from outlying areas. It was a great time by all. At the end of the day, no one craved presents because that wasn't the point of Christmas. It was simply celebrating Christ. Period.
Back in the USA I find crazy commercialism. Buy this, buy that! Only 2 days before Christmas! Wherever there is a market and opportunity to make money, some vendor is selling something. My family and I have taken the "The Road less Traveled" in this Christmas. If Christmas is about the Nativity of Jesus, then let's celebrate His birthday and give gifts to Him. Let's not fall into traditions of giving each other gifts we don't need. Giving to Jesus means giving to those who are poor, hungry, naked and needy. That's what Saint Nicholas did. And Three Wise Men's Day, or the Magi is after the New Year. They gave gifts to Jesus, too.
I wonder if we can keep the Christmas Crazies away and simply celebrate Jesus.
Living 20 years in North Africa have tempered and shaped my view and appreciation of Christmas. The first time was 28 years ago. I was in an African village with absolutely nothing that resembled America. They celebrated Christmas with a joy, enthusiasm and energy that I had not seen before. And it was without Christmas trees, wreaths, presents, decorations, santa, shopping, carols, etc. They paraded up and down the dirt roads for days before the 25th, singing praise songs. Then on Christmas Eve, they stayed up all night, singing and presenting skits and short dramas. Many of us fell asleep while the young and hardy kept going. Hey, it was an "all night party" for Jesus! Then in the morning they paraded and sang again for all to wake up. It was time to - (not open presents) but go to worship service! After service, we ate a special meal including all in attendance, especially poor villagers from outlying areas. It was a great time by all. At the end of the day, no one craved presents because that wasn't the point of Christmas. It was simply celebrating Christ. Period.
Back in the USA I find crazy commercialism. Buy this, buy that! Only 2 days before Christmas! Wherever there is a market and opportunity to make money, some vendor is selling something. My family and I have taken the "The Road less Traveled" in this Christmas. If Christmas is about the Nativity of Jesus, then let's celebrate His birthday and give gifts to Him. Let's not fall into traditions of giving each other gifts we don't need. Giving to Jesus means giving to those who are poor, hungry, naked and needy. That's what Saint Nicholas did. And Three Wise Men's Day, or the Magi is after the New Year. They gave gifts to Jesus, too.
I wonder if we can keep the Christmas Crazies away and simply celebrate Jesus.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home