Reflections on Marrakesh Explosion
I know the Cafe Argana in Marrakesh. I've sat there several times over the years with friends and family members. Matter of fact, I've sat on the terrace exactly where the bomb killed 16, wounded 23, and destroyed the upper floors of the restaurant. It is an eerie feeling.
The last time I had a strong eerie feeling was in 2001, on September 11, yes - on 9/11. You see, we had flown out of Boston's Logan Airport and were still in the air on 9/11, as disaster was unfolding in New York and Washington DC. I remember The Economist magazine headline: "the day the world changed." How much the world has changed in 10 years.
What of Morocco now? The King visited the bomb site and the hospitals holding the survivors, visibly shaken despite being cheered and welcomed by crowds of women and children. Tourism will take a hit for a while, then maybe after a year of peace and calm may build up again. If there is another bomb this year, that will really dampen business and deal a serious blow to the economy.
What about me? I'll be more careful where I go; try to avoid crowds of foreigners and tourist attractions. Otherwise, things remain sort of the same. I wear dark sunglasses and wear non-touristy clothes in order to blend in. I know the local languages. I keep my ear to the ground. Fear is a powerful thing. I choose faith instead. Faith that the Almighty is in control of my life. that my steps are arranged and I have no fear of death. After all, isn't death the thing which frightens people the most? If I am not afraid, then fear and death loses its sting and power. What is this life anyways? Isn't it just a short time on earth - perhaps 70 or 80 years if we have the strength and health?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home