The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Needing Things

It's amazing how materialistic society is.
Gotta have it... the 3G iphone... nah, just kidding.

There is a saying for travelers, "the most important things are your tickets, money and documents." Yet how easy it is to pack "everything except the kitchen sink."

Why do we need things?
Things help us in life, electronics, etc.
But when we feel we need the latest, most up to date item, we are addicted to another path.

I read of the Desert Fathers; those monks who retreated to monasteries not to escape, but to draw near to God. Sometimes I feel like escaping, but that isn't the Way either.

The Desert Way is solitude with God in order to recharge and then re-engage with people and the world. It is a back and forth, as the Master did.

When we experience a traumatic event; a life and death encounter, we also are reminded of what is really important. People.

People are more important than things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home