The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Monday, February 23, 2009

When Someone Dies

When someone dies in the neighborhood, you know what to do, right?

Moroccans know, we may not.
They show up your door, to pay condolences. Whether or not they know you very well.
And we've learned how to do it, too.

A few months ago there was a death down the street, in an apartment across from the grocery store. We could tell because there were loads of people crowded around the doorway. Many of them looking very sad.

My wife said, "I have to go and pay condolences." And she did. Which is easy for her since she's an extrovert and used to talking with all kinds of strangers. 
After she returned, she told me, "You should go too."

Knowing it was the right cultural thing to do, I went.
I walked up to those complete strangers (I approached the men) as they stood outside their front door, greeted them, said my condolences, received their thanks, and then took my leave.
That took maybe 30 seconds.

Sometimes, doing the right thing is the kind thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home