The Road Less Traveled

There is the wide road used by most people of this world and there is the narrow way, the Road Less Traveled. This blog is about experiences, people and places on the narrow path. I lived and worked in North Africa for many years. That is my outer journey. But my inner journey is spiritual, global and universal. In 2012, I moved to the Golden Triangle region of SE Asia (Laos, Myanmar, Thailand). I have started a whole new adventure. Come join me on the Road Less Traveled. Without and within.

My Photo
Name:
Location: City on a Hill, Golden Triangle

Artist, teacher, peace-maker, world traveler, global citizen.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Port Perspectives

Sometimes, the most interesting comments come from the street.

I have two friends who work on fishing boats operating out of regional fishports.

One guy I call Henry. Believe it or not, he worked as a cook on a Chinese ship and learned a few words of Mandarin! He's gone through phases in his life: when I first met him, he bought a flashy new Yamaha scooter and wore dark sunglasses. Then, he turned "fundy" and got real religious; sold the scooter, grew a beard, changed his clothes, and married a fundy girl. We went to the wedding. Normally there is music, but at a fundy wedding, there's only Quranic chanting. Period.

The other guy I call Sammy. He's an ordinary guy, uses his hands, doesn't read much, but talks a lot. He learned Spanish when he worked up north. He talked about the fishing industry, from his perspective.

Over several years, the fish beds have been gradually fished out by various fleets from Morocco, Korea, Japan, China, Russia and Spain. The other transition has been the nationalization of the fishing fleets. For example, in the past there were Chinese boats with Chinese captains and crews. Then, the crews were replaced by Moroccan crews, only retaining the Chinese captain. Recently, the boats have started acquiring Moroccan captains. So, the foreign involvement has lessened. And Morocco has exercized control over the coast, forbidding foreign fleets to fish where they used to.

Sammy said, "You know why there is less fish out there? It's because Morocco closed the door to foreign fleets. They closed the door and now God has closed the door on Morocco. You sow what you reap. If you are greedy, then it will come back on you."

Port perspectives. Wisdom from the water.

Sammy prays. He says, "Before I go out of the house, I have to pray. It's necessary. It's an obligation for me."
He says that he asks God for money help. And Sammy finds money on the street.
"It's strange, but I always find money on the street. Other people don't. But, God helps me when I ask Him!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home