Origins & Ancestry: Part 2. Dad's Family
Dads side
Yeh-yeh,
my paternal grandfather came to the United States from Toisan, Guangdong in 1914, before World War 1. My uncles said that he came on a boat to Vancouver, British
Columbia, then traveled by train across Canada to the east coast before
entering the US.
My father was one of 11 children. They were actually 13 but two of them died
young. He was born in 1927 in Boston Chinatown and he was
born at home, not in the hospital. He said that Chinatown,
growing up in the 1930s and 1940s was not only a ghetto, but a very isolated
and insulated one. People grew up in Chinatown and they never left. They didn’t
need to never learn English. Dad talked about growing up poor, working in the
family restaurant and going around Chinatown collecting leftover rice so that
his mother could make rice wine from the rice kernels. The reason why the
family was poor was because his father, Yeh-yeh, was a gambler and he also
loaned a lot of money which was never returned.
My uncle Tommy said that Yeh-yeh had a big sea chest full of I. O. U. Paper
slips. Lots of people owed him money, but he was too soft and didn't collect.
It made it hard on Yun-Yun, dad and his brothers and sisters. Yeh-yeh was
intelligent and spoke English. He did interpretation and served as a leader of
the Wong Association. The family could have done well, but he neglected his
parental responsibilities .
Dad and his older brother, uncle Bart, were the first two students from
Chinatown to go to college. He got a full scholarship to go to the Museum of
Fine Arts School or to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT. Dad was
smart and he was also artistic. He was also practical. So, he decided to go to
MIT. He graduated in 1948 and got a job in Baltimore.
I don't remember many of the older uncle or aunts except that dad had several brothers
older than him who fought in World War II. One uncle died in the Pacific Theater
in the Philippines. He caught malaria. He left a guitar for my dad. I remember
seeing it for years in the living room in the corner. No one really played it
until my brother, Steve took it up. We still have it in the family cottage. It
must be 80+ years old.
Uncle Tommy died in 2011, my second youngest uncle. Before he passed on from
throat cancer , I visited him at the hospital. He told me stories of his
experience growing up in the 1940s and 1950s in Chinatown. He was a leader,
helping to start the Chinatown Boy Scouts troop 34, and later the Gung-ho club
in 1948, which continues to this day. His wife, aunt Nancy typed up his story.
I include that in a separate chapter appendix.
Yunyun, my paternal grandmother was one of three wives attached to Yeh-yeh, my
paternal grandfather. Yes, Yeh-yeh had 3 wives, two in China in one in America.
The first wife in China could not bear any children so Yeh-yeh married Yunyun
and brought her to America. The third wife was back in China, I guess when
Yeh-yeh traveled back during one of his trips.
There is a aunt in England who married a British soldier. They met in
Hong Kong.
Dad told me that we had many relatives in Arizona from that wife. He was
closest to uncle Francis, as they were the same age. When Steve was 15 and I
was 14, he sent us to work at the relatives. Steve went to Phoenix to Uncle
Francis' grocery store. I was sent to California to work with Aunty Corky,
mom's sister. The Arizona clan is big. In recent years we have reconnected and
held family reunions. We missed the first one, but we made it to the 2018
reunion in Phoenix.
Is ancestry important? Is there is there any value in it?
Family is interesting to me because It is part of my origin, my life and my ancestral
history. Growing up I was largely ignorant or I wasn't interested in it. As such my roots were shallow. I had no depth. But, thankfully I have been learning more and more about my extended family, my ancestors. It is intriguing, even fascinating.
Genealogy is a family record of the good, bad and the ugly. When we inherit
good DNA for ability in music, art, smarts, or business acumen, we rejoice. On
the other hand, if we acquire bad traits like anger.
In the gospel of Matthew chapter 1:1-17 there is a detailed genealogy listed.
Beginning with Adam, the human ancestry of Jesus is covered through dozens of
generations. To the Jews, ancestry was and is important. It showed that they
had a special family bloodline.
I also believe that God values all races, ethnicities, tribes because of Acts
chapter 2 the Holy Spirit being poured out on all people and everyone speaking
different languages. And that people heard the good news in their own mother
tongue. Languages are important whether they are from a small African tribe or
a large country like China. I truly believe that God values all peoples.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home